WorkSafeBC Home

Trucking & transport

If your trucking or transport business operates in B.C., you may need coverage.

B.C. trucking and transport firms

In addition to the legal requirement to have WorkSafeBC coverage for your workers in B.C., if you obtain a contract out of province, or if you travel through any other provinces, you should also check your registration requirements with the Workers' Compensation Authority in the jurisdiction in which you will be working or travelling through. Alternatively you may be able to apply for the Alternative Assessment Procedure (AAP) (see below).

Canadian trucking and transport firms

If you're a Canadian trucking business from outside of B.C., you may need WorkSafeBC coverage for each driver who travels in or through B.C. The good news for Canadian firms is that you can pay your assessments by applying for the Alternative Assessment Procedure (AAP). This procedure helps simplify premium calculations and payments for interjurisdictional trucking and transport firms. 

Reporting payroll and making payments

You have two payment options:

  • Sign up for AAP to report your interjurisdictional trucking and transport earnings, and pay premiums to the workers' compensation board in the province where your workers live
  • Report your interjurisdictional earnings based on the percentage of kilometres your workers drive in each province or territory

Alternative Assessment Procedure (AAP)

The AAP may help you simplify how your premiums are paid. With the AAP, your business registers in each province or territory where your business operates or has workers, but you pay premiums only in the provinces where your workers live and usually work. You and your workers will have the same rights, benefits, and protection as those who work only in B.C.

Businesses eligible for AAP:

  • General trucking, including moving transportation
  • Courier or local delivery services
  • Dump truck operations
  • Mobile home or boat towing
  • Log hauling
  • Charter bus industry
  • Interurban and rural bus transportation
  • Land, scenic, and sightseeing transportation
  • Pilot Car Services

When you can sign up for AAP:

  • If your business is newly registered with us, you can register for AAP within 60 days of your registration at any time during the year.
  • If you're already registered with us and your trucking operations take drivers into other provinces, you can switch to the AAP at the beginning of a calendar year (apply before February 28).

To sign up for the AAP, please send us a completed Application for the Alternative Assessment Procedure.

Non-Canadian trucking and transport firms

If you are a non-Canadian firm in the trucking or transport industry who temporarily carries on business in B.C., you may be exempt from registration if all of the following criteria are met:

  • Your firm has coverage for compensation for work related injuries in its home jurisdiction,
  • Your firm does not employ a B.C. resident,
  • Your firm is not incorporated in B.C.; and
  • Your firm is not hauling goods between B.C. points

If your firm is found to be exempt from registration with WorkSafeBC, you may choose to apply for voluntary coverage that will cover your workers while operating in B.C.