Voluntary coverage

If you're not required by law to have WorkSafeBC coverage, you may be eligible to apply for voluntary coverage. Voluntary coverage is added protection for employers and workers who wouldn't be covered otherwise.

You may be eligible to apply for voluntary coverage if you are an exempt:

  • Homeowner or resident who hires workers in or around the home; or
  • Out-of-province employer

For example, if you are a homeowner hiring a landscaper for less than 24 working hours and have been found exempt from the requirement to register as an employer, you can buy voluntary coverage to protect yourself and your worker.

Interested in buying coverage?

We're here to help. Please contact our Employer Service Centre.