Exposure prevention guides
Young workers face many hazards in their jobs. Sometimes the hazards are obvious, but sometimes young workers may not even see the dangers that can make them sick. Chemical fumes and vapours, noise, and airborne particles can present serious exposure risks that could affect their health now and potentially years or even decades down the road.
This series of guides — for teachers, employers, and young workers — raises awareness of the occupational exposure hazards that put young workers at risk of injury and disease.
For educatorsIf you are a career educator, or if you teach Planning 10, Applied Skills, or technology education, download or order the educator's guide to learn more about how youth respond to workplace exposures and how you can help raise awareness of the hazards they face. Depending on your students' needs, you may also want the corresponding young worker exposure handouts. There is a general young worker exposure handout relevant to all industries, as well as specific handouts on asbestos exposure and silica dust exposure.
For employersIf you employ young workers or sponsor apprentices, download or order the employer guides to learn more about exposure risks facing young workers and your role in preventing injuries and illnesses associated with exposure. There are three employer handouts: one relevant to young worker exposures in all industries, plus specific handouts on asbestos and silica dust exposures. Depending on your industry and jobs that your young workers perform, you may also be interested in the accompanying young worker handouts on the same topics.
- Young Workers: Keeping Them Safe From Exposure to Workplace Hazards (an Employer's Guide)
- Young Workers: Keeping Them Safe From Exposure to Asbestos (an Employer's Guide)
- Young Workers: Keeping Them Safe From Exposure to Silica Dust (an Employer's Guide)
For young workersIf you are a young worker, download or order the young worker guides to learn about exposure risks in your workplace, as well as your rights and responsibilities.
- Exposure to Workplace Hazards Might be Making You Sick...You Just Don't Know It Yet
- The Jobsite Might be Making You Sick...You Just Don't Know It Yet (How to Protect Yourself From Exposure to Asbestos)
- The Jobsite Might be Making You Sick...You Just Don't Know It Yet (How to Protect Yourself From Exposure to Silica Dust)
* To order copies of the Young Worker Exposure Prevention Guides, email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.