WorkSafeBC Home

Health care benefits

Once we accept your claim, we will cover the cost of the health care services and supplies that are considered reasonably necessary to treat your injuries. This may include medical treatments, hospitalization, medical supplies, rehabilitation, and medications.

We do not normally pay for more than one type of treatment at a time.

For example, we can pay for you to see a physiotherapist or a chiropractor, but not both at the same time. So if you’re receiving more than one type of medical treatment, contact us right away.

See your health care provider as often as he or she suggests and take part in the treatment prescribed.

Please see your health care provider and contact us immediately if your symptoms worsen, or you feel you cannot return to work by the date currently planned.

If you receive medical treatments related to your claim before we’ve accepted your claim, you may be asked to pay for them directly. If your claim is later accepted, you can contact your treatment provider to request reimbursement. They will normally bill us directly for all your treatments.

Once we accept your claim, your health care provider should bill us for any treatment related to your claim. You should not have to pay any fees.

If you do pay for treatments, and you pay more than what we’ve negotiated with the health care provider, we may not be able to reimburse you for the extra costs. We are only able to pay the amount negotiated in the contract with the provider. If you or your treatment provider have any questions about reimbursement, please contact our Payment Services team.

If you need physiotherapy, you should visit one of the service providers who have a contract with us in your region. Be sure to explain that your injury is work-related.

By choosing one of our contracted physiotherapists, you can get an initial assessment even before we accept your claim. The physiotherapist will also discuss how your injury affects your ability to do your job. He or she will bill us directly for this assessment.

If you choose a physiotherapist who has not contracted with us, you will have to pay for your visit. You can then seek reimbursement from us. Please keep in mind that we will reimburse you at established rates and you will be responsible for any difference.

To have massage therapy covered under your claim, you'll need a referral from your doctor before receiving treatment. If your treatment extends beyond eight weeks from the date of your injury, you’ll also need to contact us for approval.

Be sure to tell the therapist that your injury is work-related.

Once we accept your claim:

  • You can receive up to 12 treatments within the first eight weeks of the date of your injury
  • Your massage therapist should bill us for all treatments related to your claim
  • We can reimburse you up to $45 per visit if you have had to pay the therapist directly for any treatments

In some cases you may want massage therapy while your claim is pending. If so, you may have to pay for treatment yourself. If your claim is later accepted, you should get the therapist to repay you. The therapist then bills us.

If the massage therapist refuses to reimburse you, please contact our Payment Services team.

If you need help finding a registered massage therapist, contact the Registered Massage Therapists' Association of B.C.

Specific guidelines exist for a variety of other health care treatments. In all cases, be sure to tell the treatment provider that your injury is work-related.

  • Chiropractor, naturopath, or specialist: You do not need a referral for treatment.
  • Dental work: In all cases except emergencies, we must approve treatment before you can receive it.
  • Hospital services: Your benefits include emergency room visits, short- and long-term stays, day surgery, dressing changes, casting, and diagnostic imaging such as X-rays, CT scans, and MRIs.
  • Nursing care: We cover services performed by a registered nurse or licensed practical nurse as designated by a registered nurse. Services include home care, residential care, wound care, and home intravenous (IV) therapy.
  • Acupuncture: Please contact us for approval before receiving therapy.

We will pay for prescriptions to treat conditions related to your accepted claim. You will receive a pharmacy card once your claim is accepted, which you can use to pay for your pre-approved prescriptions.

If you haven’t received a pharmacy card and need to get reimbursed for your approved prescriptions, download and fill out our worker prescription form. Make sure you include your claim number.

Send us the form, along with a copy of your original pharmacy receipt (not the store cash register receipt). Please keep the original receipts. We may ask to see them at later date.

You can fax or mail the form to us. Our contact information is at the bottom of the form.