WorkSafeBC Home

Wage-loss benefits

Wage-loss benefits compensate workers who lose pay due to a work-related injury or illness. If we accept your claim for wage-loss benefits, you usually receive about 90 percent of your calculated net earnings. Benefits continue until you are able to participate in modified work or return to your usual duties.

When and how we pay your wage-loss benefits

In most cases, wage-loss benefits start as of the first scheduled shift you miss. For example, suppose you suffered an injury on Tuesday and were not scheduled to work again until Friday. In this case, your benefits would usually begin on the Friday.

We only provide wage-loss benefits when you can't work your regular schedule due to illness or injury. When that happens, we generally pay wage-loss benefits every two weeks. If your condition keeps you off work for more than 10 weeks, you'll be eligible for long-term wage-loss compensation.

How to set up direct deposit

If you’d like us to deposit your wage-loss payments and all other future payments into your bank account, you can sign up for direct deposit. To sign up online, you'll need to log on to your online services account or create an account if you don't already have one.

To create an online services account, you’ll need your Customer Care number, which you’ll find at the top of most letters we send, and your Personal Access number, which we mailed to you when your claim was initiated. To learn more about setting up your online services account, please watch this video.

Log on or create an account

If you prefer, you can complete a request for deposit form and return it to us.

Calculating your benefits

Once we accept your claim, we will send you a letter that outlines your wage-loss rate. Initially, you'll receive about 90 percent of your normal take-home pay. For an estimate of what you may receive, have a look at our process for calculating short-term wage-loss benefits. If your net earnings are above or below maximum and minimum levels, special rules apply

Your earnings are a key part of our calculation. Determining your earnings depends on what type of worker you are.

If you're a regular full-time or part-time worker…

We use your earnings at the time of your injury to best reflect what you are losing while off work. If you work a set schedule at an hourly rate of pay, we will generally use this information to set your rate. Perhaps though, your earnings fluctuate. (This could be due to variable work hours, shift differentials, or other factors.) In this case, we will generally use your three-month earnings.

If you're a self-employed worker with Personal Optional Protection (POP) coverage…

The amount of POP you purchased is considered to be your earnings. You can review POP benefits for an explanation of how we usually calculate benefits in your situation. We also provide a table to help you estimate your likely benefits.

If you're a casual worker with an irregular and sporadic pattern of work…

We use your average earnings in the 12 months before your injury. Our information on short-term wage-loss benefits helps you estimate your benefits.

You can also review the factors that affect wage-loss benefits. We explain there what we take into account when calculating wage-loss benefits.

Wage-loss benefits while recovering at work

Depending on your injury or illness, you may be able to recover at work. If you're not able to fully return to work, you may be able to work reduced hours or at different duties. When this happens, we can still provide wage-loss benefits. We will subtract your net employment income from your net weekly wage-rate and you may be entitled to 90% of the difference.  

Some employers continue to pay the full wage of an injured worker whose claim we have accepted. When that happens, we pay the wage-loss benefits straight to the employer.