WorkSafeBC Home

Hearing loss claims

We help people whose hearing has been damaged by long-term exposure to hazardous noise at work. We also cover traumatic hearing loss. Depending on your situation, we may pay health care costs, including the cost of hearing aids.

Important things to know about hearing loss benefits

We are able to consider claims for hearing loss if you have experienced continuous exposure to hazardous noise at work in B.C. for two or more years. That exposure must have been for at least eight hours per day and at 85 decibels (dBA) or more.

If we accept your claim, we're able to pay for health care that is reasonably necessary. This usually includes:

  • The cost of hearing aid(s) according to our fee schedule
  • Costs associated with the ongoing hearing aid maintenance and batteries

Hearing aids

We may cover the cost of hearing aids once your claim is accepted. The reimbursement amount you may receive is subject to a fee schedule agreement we've established with authorized hearing providers. We recommend you don't buy hearing aids while your claim is pending. If you do and the cost exceeds our fee schedule, we would only be able to reimburse you for the amount specified in the fee schedule.

Applying for hearing loss benefits

To start your claim, we need you to submit an application for benefits and provide information about your employment history.

Please complete the following forms and send them to us in one package:

Please fax or mail the documents, using the contact information on the forms.

Reviewing your hearing loss claim

Once we have all the information we need, we'll send you a letter to tell you if we are able to accept your claim.

We try to send this letter as soon as possible but it depends on how long it takes for us to get the medical information and other information we need. During this process, we'll contact you if we need more information from you.

Hearing aid replacement or repair

If your hearing aid is lost or damaged, please contact your nearest WorkSafeBC-authorized hearing aid provider. They can help you with completing the form and requesting approval for repair or replacement.  

Need more information?

We're happy to help. Please contact our Claims Call Centre team.