Workers Compensation Law
Legislation and regulation
Workers compensation law in British Columbia is set by the Workers Compensation Act (Act) and its related regulations.
WorkSafeBC administers the Act for the Ministry of Labour. The Act addresses matters such as:
- The rights and responsibilities of employers and workers with respect to occupational health and safety,
- Setting and enforcing occupational health and safety regulations and standards,
- Inspecting workplaces, issuing orders, and imposing penalties,
- Assisting injured or disabled workers and their dependants , and
- Assessing employers and collecting funds to operate WorkSafeBC.