WorkSafeBC Home

Do I need a certificate?

As of January 1, 2024, anyone performing asbestos abatement work in relation to buildings must complete mandatory safety training and certification.

If you are a worker or independent operator, you can use the questions in this tool to help determine what type of certificate you need for the work you do. You may wish to learn about certificates before you use this tool.

Certification is only required for abatement work in relation to a building. If you are doing asbestos abatement work that is not in relation to a building — for example, ship building, working underground, or working outdoors on vessels, in tanks, or with asbestos cement piping — you do not need a certificate.


This tool has been created to help you understand the requirements for certification and does not replace the Workers Compensation Act and Occupational Health and Safety Regulation.

If you still have questions about whether you need a certificate, call our Prevention Information Line: 604.276.3100, or toll-free 1.888.621.7233. You can also refer to the resource Who is required to have a licence or certificate.