WorkSafeBC Home

Small businesses

Employers, regardless of size, must ensure the health and safety of their workers. We have resources for small business owners that can quickly help you understand what's required to meet your legal obligations, including registering your business and applying for coverage, managing claims, and meeting your responsibilities for health and safety.

Generally, you need coverage if you:

  • Employ and pay workers on a regular, casual, or contract basis
  • As a homeowner, hire an individual to work in or around your home for a certain period of time (e.g., child care, lawn services)
  • Come from another province or country to do work in B.C.
  • Work in the commercial fishing or trucking industries

If you are self-employed and do not hire any workers or unregistered contractors, you do not need to register or pay premiums. You may be eligible to purchase optional coverage to cover lost salary and medical expenses if you are injured on the job as a result of your work.