WorkSafeBC Home

Submitting a response to a complaint

Because the burden of proof is on employers to show there has been no prohibited action or failure to pay wages, your response to a prohibited action complaint is crucial.

We will let you know when it is time to submit your formal response.

Submitting your response form

First, download and complete a Prohibited Action – Employer or Union Response (Form 57M7).

You can then submit your Prohibited Action Complaint documents using our secure, online portal.

Submit online

You may also submit your documents by email to or by mail to WorkSafeBC, Prohibited Action Complaints Section, PO Box 5350 Stn Terminal, Vancouver, BC V6B 5L5, or by fax at 604.233.4040.

If you have questions or would like to speak to us about your complaint, please call our prohibited action complaints line at 604.232.1864 or toll-free at 1.888.967.5377, extension 1864.

Tips for meeting our requirements in your response


We ask that your response be clear and specific. Include as much detail as possible.

We require the following:

  • Detailed account of the event in question
  • Written, signed statements from witnesses
  • Copies of any relevant documents
  • Relevant dates, times, and places


We follow a process when prohibited action complaints are submitted, starting with a preliminary inquiry (if more information is required), then voluntary mediation, then adjudication. If the complaint goes to adjudication, you are given an opportunity to respond, at which point the worker can respond to your submission. A fair adjudication process depends on timely responses from you and the worker.