About us and our website
The goal of this website (worksafebc.com) is to provide you with easy access to information to help you understand what we do and to help you access services for injured workers, understand your obligations as employers, and learn more about occupational health and safety. This website does not replace or change the provisions of the Workers Compensation Act, its regulations (such as the Occupational Health and Safety Regulation), or WorkSafeBC’s policies and procedures that may apply to you and your individual circumstances.
We encourage you to use our website and the materials included in it for non-commercial purposes to help promote occupational health and safety. Since all of our materials are protected by copyright and trademark, you'll need to follow our Terms and Conditions and in some cases, request our permission to use them.
Terms and Conditions for using our website
There are some terms and conditions, or rules, listed below that govern your use of our website and form a contract between us when you access and use the website. We may update these rules from time to time. Each time you access and use our website, you are indicating that you understand, accept and agree to be bound by these rules, so we encourage you to review these rules periodically.
All the content on the website is the sole property of WorkSafeBC (unless we note that it is owned by someone else – a “third party”) and can only be used as follows:
- You may display the content owned by WorkSafeBC on your computer, print it, and/or download it and use the text, audio clips, video clips and other content for non-commercial, personal, or educational purposes only, provided that you do not modify any of the content and do not remove any copyright or other notices from it. Where there is no copyright or other notice, we may ask you to include with and display on each copy of the content you print, download, use, or link an acknowledgement of WorkSafeBC’s ownership of the content and you may not use the content in those cases unless you do this.
- You cannot copy any part of the website for use on your own website, but you may provide hypertext links if you comply with the “Link to worksafebc.com” rule. Any other uses not expressly mentioned, require our written permission.
- Make digital copies of videos, DVDs, or CDs you have purchased and downloaded from our website, and transfer them to electronic devices for distribution for educational purposes only.
All commercial use (including non-personal and non-educational use) of the website content is strictly prohibited in the absence of prior written consent of WorkSafeBC, which consent may be unreasonably withheld, and subject to such terms and conditions as WorkSafeBC may stipulate. Permission to use the content is granted on a case-by-case basis, so that permission in a case does not necessarily mean permission will be granted in a similar case. To request copyright permission, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may not access our website from locations where the content is illegal. It is your responsibility to determine whether your use of our website is lawful, and you must comply with all laws applicable in your jurisdiction.
You explicitly agree not to do any of the following:
- Use our website for any purpose that is unlawful or prohibited by these Terms and Conditions
- Use our website in any way that could damage, disable, overburden, or impair the website, or interfere with anyone else's use of it
- Attempt to gain unauthorized access to our computer systems or networks connected to WorkSafeBC through hacking, password mining, or any other means
- Attempt to reverse engineer any portion of our website or attempt to infringe the intellectual property rights of others in any way
- Obtain or attempt to obtain any materials or information through any means not intentionally made available through our website
From time to time you may be required or choose to submit information through our website. All information you provide through the website must be true, accurate, and complete.
We will rely on the information you provide so if you submit incorrect or incomplete information, you will be responsible for any loss, damage, or additional costs you, WorkSafeBC, or others may incur as a result.
We may provide hypertext links to other websites we do not maintain. We try to ensure that the suitability of those links, but we do not monitor the content of such sites or their accuracy.
Your use of those hypertext links is solely at your own risk and subject to the terms and conditions found on those sites, which we encourage you to read.
We allow you to include a link to our website on your website for information purposes. When you include a link to our website, you must not use any of our logos or trademarks in or with your link unless we have given you specific written permission. Be sure to review our copyright and trademark statement.
You must not use the link in any way that we may consider to be as an endorsement, association, preference, or approval by us of you, your website or any products or services.
If we consider your website or your linking of our website as inappropriate in any way, you will immediately remove the link upon our request. Inappropriate websites or links include but are not limited to those that disparage or send any negative, inaccurate, or misleading message with respect to WorkSafeBC or its products, services, or business, or otherwise detract from the goodwill associated with us or our business.
If you breach of any part of these Terms and Conditions or any international, federal or provincial law, you will immediately remove the link upon our request.
All questions, comments, suggestions, and other communications provided by you regarding the content of this website shall be treated as non-confidential. We shall have no obligation of any kind with respect to any communication, and shall be free to reproduce, use, disclose, and distribute the communication without limitation.
We shall be free to use any ideas, concepts, techniques, or know-how contained in any communication for any purpose, including but not limited to development, manufacturing and marketing products, or offering services, which incorporate such information.
We are available to monitor and respond to questions on social media from Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. We don’t monitor or respond to questions on social media outside of these office hours.
We also do not respond on social media to emergencies or unsafe workplace issues. For emergencies and to report an unsafe workplace, please call our Prevention Line.
If you breach any provision of these Terms and Conditions, you may no longer access or use our website or its content. In addition, we may terminate your right to use our website or its content at any time, for any reason we decide, without any notice to you and without any liability to you or any other person.
If we terminate your right to use our website, these Terms and Conditions will continue to apply and be binding upon you in respect of all of the following:
- Your use of our website prior to the termination
- Any information or materials obtained by you from our website
- Anything connected with, relating to, or arising from, those matters
We follow international information security best practices to protect your personal and business information from misuse, unauthorized access or disclosure, loss, alteration, or destruction. We update our security practices regularly.
Our security policy allows you to make an informed decision about submitting data and communicating with our site. This security policy governs the URL https://online.worksafebc.com and applies to both personal and business-related information.
Some of our applications require a user ID, while some are anonymous. Any information you submit to us through our secured website is transmitted using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption. External organizations are given the responsibility and capability to manage their own users' access to our secure services.
All information is stored on servers in Canada.
For site security purposes and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, we employ traffic monitoring software programs to identify unauthorized access. In the event of authorized law enforcement investigations and pursuant to any required legal process, information from these sources may be used. By accessing this site, you are expressly consenting to these monitoring activities.
Unauthorized modification of any information stored on this system may result in criminal prosecution.
We reserve the right to modify or amend this security policy at any time and for any reason.
If you have questions about our security policy, please contact our Tech Support team.
Your use of our website, including any links to third party content, is at your own risk. We do not warrant the quality, accuracy or completeness of any information on our website or in any third party links, any or all of which may include inaccuracies or typographical errors. All information is provided “as is” without warranty or condition of any kind.
We do not make any endorsement of any third party, or any third party products, services, or content that is referred to, included in or linked from this website. Any third party content is for information only and you are required to make your own enquiries as to accuracy and suitability.
We shall not be liable for any damages whatsoever arising from your use of this website or any of its content, the non-availability of this website, or your use of any links to third party websites, including direct, special, indirect, incidental, punitive, or consequential damages, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of information available on this website.
We assume no responsibility for any viruses or malware that may infect your computer as a result of your use of our website or third party links.
You agree to defend, indemnify and hold WorkSafeBC and all of its agents, directors, employees, partners, suppliers, and affiliates harmless from any and all liabilities, costs and expenses, related to any claim or demand arising out of any violation of these Terms and Conditions by you, or in connection with your use of our website or its content.
You agree to be bound by the laws of British Columbia and Canada as applicable, and any action relating to these terms and conditions or use of our website shall be brought only in the courts in British Columbia.
If any provision of these terms and conditions is unlawful, void or unenforceable, then that provision shall be deemed severable from the remaining provisions and shall not affect their validity and enforceability. Our failure to act with respect to a breach by you of these terms and conditions does not constitute a waiver of our rights with respect to subsequent or similar breaches.
In the event of a conflict between the English language version of our website and any translation, the English language version will be treated as the correct version.
Terms and Conditions for using our online applications
Keeping your information secure is important to WorkSafeBC. Our registration process and security system ensures that only you will be able to access your account information.
Only persons authorized by the WorkSafeBC (Workers' Compensation Board) may access this web site. Access by others is prohibited and unauthorized. Access to this site is monitored and unauthorized access may result in prosecution.
- You are responsible and accountable for all use of your User Name and password, and you must take prudent measures to protect your User Name and password. You are responsible for changing your password immediately after a new password has been issued to you by WorkSafeBC. You may only use your User Name and password to perform activities related to your business with WorkSafeBC and you may only perform authorized functions. Any unauthorized attempt to access or modify computer system information or to interfere with normal systems operations, whether on WorkSafeBC computer systems or networks that are accessible from WorkSafeBC, may result in the suspension or termination of your access and possible legal action being taken.
- Information sent to WorkSafeBC will only have legal effect after it has been submitted and properly received, and is accessible to WorkSafeBC.
- If you receive information from WorkSafeBC through this service and suspect that it is incomplete, inaccurate, corrupted in transmission, or not intended for you, you must notify WorkSafeBC and request clarification. The information must not be relied upon until clarification is received from WorkSafeBC.
- If you are notified that information that you sent to WorkSafeBC is incomplete, inaccurate, or corrupted, you must take corrective action as may be reasonably required in the circumstances.
- WorkSafeBC reserves the right to disable the service as required, for the purposes of routine maintenance, or as an emergency termination of electronic computer connections to protect resources from illegal access or other damage. In the case of an unanticipated service failure WorkSafeBC will make best attempts to restore the service to normal operating conditions as quickly as possible. Temporary disruption of the service will not constitute termination of the Agreement or relieve you from your general obligations to report to WorkSafeBC.
- The user of this service acknowledges that information provided by the user to WorkSafeBC and by WorkSafeBC to the user through this service is subject to the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act of BC (FIPPA). Consequently, the parties will treat all information received or accessed under this agreement as confidential and will not disclose it in any manner except as may be required under FIPPA. The user recognizes that WorkSafeBC may be required to release information received from the user pursuant to FIPPA and agrees that if such disclosure may cause any harm to the user, the user will provide details of that harm to WorkSafeBC in accordance with s. 21 of FIPPA.
- WorkSafeBC accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage of any kind that the user of this service may suffer as a result of its use. By using this service, the user specifically accepts all legal and general liability for any loss that may arise from such use.