WorkSafeBC Home

Tinnitus Treatment Services

When workers have a work-related injury or disease, we help them get the health care and rehabilitation services they need. This may include tinnitus treatment services.

Overview of services

If a worker has an accepted claim for tinnitus, a WorkSafeBC officer may send a referral to one of our contracted service providers. This includes an initial assessment to comprehensively assess the injured worker’s requirements for services. Services may include hearing aid services and other services to deliver a tinnitus treatment program.

Our tinnitus treatment program covers assessment and treatment to address tinnitus symptoms developed by an injured worker with an accepted work-related tinnitus claim.

Schedule B outlines the list of fee codes for services.

If a hearing aid is no longer appropriate for an injured worker due to tinnitus symptoms, the tinnitus service provider must request authorization to replace the hearing aid as per the Hearing Aid Provider Services Contract requirements.

If you have any questions, please contact the Health Care Services team.

Referral for services

A WorkSafeBC officer will request services only when the injured worker has an accepted claim for tinnitus and ongoing tinnitus symptoms that require treatment.

Becoming a provider

We post notifications on Bid Opportunities for the regions of the province that are open, and also when contracts are up for bidding. All the information you need, including how to submit your bid, will be available in the posted documents. You will also find information on how to apply for a Hearing Aid Provider Services Contract if you are a provider located outside of B.C.

Through Bid Opportunities, you can also sign up to receive automatic notifications whenever one of these bids is posted.

Submitting reports and invoices

To ensure you get paid, please make sure you use WorkSafeBC invoice forms and follow our fee schedules. Once you have billed us, you can check your payment status online.

Check Invoice Status


Tinnitus Treatment Program Report (Form 83D112)

  • For initial assessment report, progress report, and discharge report

External Hearing Evaluation (Form 83D73)

  • For recording the audiogram

Tinnitus service providers who are also contracted hearing aid service providers are required to use the Hearing Aid Provider Services Contract, including the reference manual, fee schedule, and forms, when dispensing and servicing devices related to the tinnitus treatment.


  • Paperless invoicing for providers coming soon

    In the coming months, we will be introducing a new online portal for health care providers who currently submit paper invoices by fax or mail. The new portal is designed to make submitting invoices more convenient and efficient, and is part of our ongoing work to improve our online services to health care providers.

    Published on: Jul 03, 2020