WorkSafeBC Home

Self Managed Personal Care

When people have an injury at work and need personal care support at home, they may be eligible to participate in our Self Managed Personal Care (SMPC) program. The SMPC program provides eligible injured workers with the opportunity for increased choice and autonomy to manage their home support services.

Overview of services

Through the program, injured workers can guide and manage the provision of personal care in their own home. Once you're accepted into the program, you become an employer and are responsible for recruiting, hiring, training, scheduling, and supervising health care aids. You are also responsible for monthly reporting to WorkSafeBC, Revenue Canada, and overseeing SMPC funds with the assistance of a hired bookkeeper or accountant.

SMPC is not appropriate for injured workers who only require homemaking services.

Becoming a participant (contractor)

This program is intended for injured workers who have a compensable injury and demonstrate a medical and functional need for care services, which is otherwise not being met by another program (e.g., Home Care Services).

To participate in the program, you must meet the medical and business criteria outlined below.

Medical criteria

To participate, you must:

  • Have a compensable condition that requires significant levels of daily personal care
  • Have no other health concerns that would contraindicate your participation in SMPC
  • Be able to communicate your needs with others to direct your own care
  • Have the cognitive capacity to direct your own care, and
  • Have ensured that care services will be provided by care providers who are qualified and skilled in managing your unique care needs

Business criteria

You must also be able to:

  • Effectively communicate your ongoing business requirements
  • Manage the financial and organizational demands of employing staff
  • Provide evidence to WorkSafeBC of the following:
    • Compliance with insurance requirements
    • Registration with WorkSafeBC
    • Business license requirements, where applicable
    • The name and contact information of your independent bookkeeper, and
    • A back-up staffing plan

Submitting reports and invoices

All the information you need to complete our required paperwork is available in the contract documents you sign with us.

See below for the required documents and information on when and how to submit them.


Required documents When to submit it How to submit it Form #
Self Managed Personal Care Invoice By the 15th day of the following month Fax to 604.233.9777 or toll-free 1.888.922.8807 83W134
Bank statements, payroll summary reports, invoices, cheques and/or electronic bank transfers By the 15th day of the following month. You are encouraged to submit these forms as close to the date of invoice submission as possible to expedite validation and payment processing. Fax to 604.276.5194 or toll-free 1.888.922.8807 Not applicable
E-PD7A Statement of Account for Current Source Deductions (copy) Monthly or quarterly as determined by CRA Fax to 604.276.5194 or toll-free 1.888.922.8807 Not applicable
Monthly Reconciliation Report By the 15th day of the following month Fax to 604.276.5194 or toll-free 1.888.922.8807 83W6
Self Managed Personal Care (SMPC) Biannual Update June 30 and December 31 Submit online at


Required documents When to submit it How to submit it
Copy of T4 Summary and individual T4 slips to employees

Clearance letter from WorkSafeBC
By end of February of every year Fax to 604.276.5194 or toll-free 1.888.922.8807

Need more information?

We want to make sure you have all the information you need to work with us. If you have questions, please contact us for help. You can also download a copy of our contact information.

Question about: Please contact:
Becoming a participant (contractor)
Your case manager
Your existing contract and payee information Procurement Services
Invoicing or billing Payment Services
Information about your claim Claims Call Centre
Understanding the terms of your contract and contracted clinical services Health Care Programs