WorkSafeBC Home

Medical Supply Services

When people have an injury at work, their treatment may require medical supplies. Any medical supply vendor in the province may provide approved disposable supplies to injured workers. For durable supplies, we refer workers to our network of Medical Supply Services providers. This network is made up of providers who have long-term contracts with us.

Overview of services

We divide medical supply services into two types, each with its own criteria:

1. Disposable medical supplies

For the most part, these are single-use items or ones that need to be refilled, such as:

  • Catheters
  • Oxygen systems
  • Wound dressings
  • Needles and syringes

You don't need to be part of our contracted network to provide disposable medical supplies to injured workers.

2. Durable medical supplies

These are items that can endure repeated use, such as:

  • Manual and powered wheelchairs
  • Wheelchair tilt/recline systems
  • Wheelchair seating systems
  • Power scooters
  • Hospital beds and pressure relief mattresses
  • Lifting devices and slings
  • Bathroom aids
  • Aids for daily living
  • Therapy equipment

For durable medical supplies, we refer injured workers to our network of contracted providers.

All medical supplies that require a purchase order must be approved by us before you provide them to the injured worker. Our fee schedules list the items requiring a purchase order.

Becoming a provider

Our Durable Medical Supply Services contracts come up for bidding every few years. To become a provider, you need to apply when the bidding process begins.

We post notifications on Bid Opportunities when contracts are up for bidding. All the information you need, including how to submit your bid, will be available in the posted documents.

Through Bid Opportunities, you can also sign up for automatic notifications whenever one of these bid opportunities is posted.

Submitting reports and invoices

Please send your invoices to us within 90 days of providing supplies to an injured worker. The fastest way to get paid is by using our Supplier/Vendor Invoice. At the top of the form, you'll find instructions for completing and submitting it to us. Type your information and complete all required sections.

Be sure to quote only the fee items outlined in the Durable Medical Supplies and Disposable Medical Supplies fee schedules.

Please do not charge any fees directly to any injured worker who has an accepted claim with us.

If there's a problem with your invoice, we'll send you a letter explaining why we're requesting corrections.

Need more information?

We're here to help. Please contact our Health Care Services team.