This site will look much better in a browser that supports web standards, but it is accessible to any browser or Internet device.


insurance banner


Registration for homeowners and residents

When you hire someone to work in your home to meet your personal or domestic needs, you are considered a residential employer. Whether you hire the worker on a full-time, part-time, or casual basis, you may need to register for WorkSafeBC insurance coverage if you hire:

  • Nannies, companions, or other personal caregivers
  • Domestic workers such as household cleaners
  • Construction or repair workers or contractors
  • Gardeners or landscapers

You do not need to register if you hire a person:

  • For an average of less than eight working hours per week
  • For a specific job to be completed in less than 24 working hours. In determining how long a job takes, it is the total person-hours for the job that is relevant. For example, if three workers work for nine hours each, WorkSafeBC considers that job to be for a period of 27 hours.
  • To care for children before and after school for an average of less than 15 hours per week
  • Through an agency registered with WorkSafeBC, where you pay the agency directly
  • Who is independently registered with WorkSafeBC

Responsibilities of homeowners

Homeowners and B.C. residents who hire workers cannot be sued for the costs of a work-related injury or disease. If a worker is injured in your home while on the job, WorkSafeBC pays for the worker's entire medical and wage-loss costs.

In return for this protection, you are expected to:

  • Register with WorkSafeBC
  • Pay employer premiums
  • Provide a safe and healthy work environment

Registration guarantees protection

The law requires WorkSafeBC to compensate injured workers - even when employers have not registered with WorkSafeBC. If a homeowner does not register with WorkSafeBC and pay premiums when required, the results could be costly. WorkSafeBC may charge the homeowner for all compensation costs and unpaid premiums.

Protect yourself – Check the registration status of contractors

When you hire people to work in or around your home, always ask them whether they carry their own coverage. If they do, ask for their WorkSafeBC account numbers. Double-check their information by requesting an online clearance letter from WorkSafeBC before they begin working for you and before you make a final payment. A clearance letter gives you assurance that you won't be held responsible for someone else's payments to WorkSafeBC.

For more information

See Registration FAQs, or contact the Employer Service Centre at 1 888 922-2768 or 604 244-6181. If you already know you need to register, go to Online Registration.