Consultation on the Occupational Exposure Limit review period for chemical substances
Each year, the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) publishes a list of substances for which they have set new or revised Threshold Limit Values (TLVs), retained TLVs, or withdrawn TLVs.
A TLV is an airborne concentration of a chemical substance where nearly all workers are believed to experience no adverse health effects over a working lifetime. TLVs may be expressed as an 8-hour time-weighted average, short-term exposure limit or ceiling limit.
Prior to the adoption of new or revised TLVs published by the ACGIH, WorkSafeBC reviews and consults stakeholders on potential implementation issues. WorkSafeBC’s existing B.C. Occupational Exposure Limits (OELs) continue to be in effect until the Board of Directors makes a decision on which new or revised ACGIH TLVs to adopt as B.C. OELs.
WorkSafeBC is requesting stakeholder feedback on a proposed increase to the ACGIH TLV review period from one to three years. A three year OEL review period provides:
- Additional time for the development and review of methods to assess worker exposure to new or revised ACGIH TLVs;
- Additional time for industries to prepare and adapt to forthcoming OEL changes; and,
- Additional time to request and obtain research related to OELs.
The WorkSafeBC Policy, Regulation and Research Division is committed to proactively bringing critical OEL issues to the Board of Directors when warranted prior to the scheduled ACGIH TLV review period. In order to ensure the ongoing review of new or emerging chemical substance exposure risks, the WorkSafeBC Risk Analysis Unit also has the mandate to provide ongoing review of potential exposure risks.
Submissions can be submitted as follows:
or toll-free in B.C. 1.877.279.7599
|Mail:||Policy, Regulation and Research Division
P.O. Box 5350, Station Terminal
Vancouver BC V6B 5L5
Feedback will be accepted until by 4:30 p.m., Friday, September 1, 2017.
To make a written submission
Please include the following information in your written feedback:
- Name of submitter(s);
- Whether you are submitting on your own behalf or on behalf of an organization (if on behalf of an organization, please specify the name of the organization);
- Whether you are commenting from a worker’s perspective or an employer’s perspective; and
- Your feedback on the proposed increase to the WorkSafeBC Occupational Exposure Limit review period on ACGIH TLV’s for chemical substances.
All stakeholder feedback received will be carefully considered and analyzed, and provided to the Board of Directors of WorkSafeBC as part of their decision making process.
Please note that all comments become part of the Policy, Regulation and Research Division's database and may be published, including the identity of organizations and those participating on behalf of organizations. The identity of those who have participated on their own behalf will be kept confidential according to the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.