Consultation on proposed B.C. Exposure Limits based on the new or revised 2019 and 2020 ACGIH TLVs for selected chemical substances
Each year, the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) publishes a list of substances for which they have set new or revised Threshold Limit Values (TLVs). A TLV is the airborne concentration of a chemical substance where it is believed that nearly all workers may be exposed over a working lifetime and experience no adverse health effects. TLVs may be expressed as an 8-hour time-weighted average (TWA), 15-minute short-term exposure limit (STEL), or ceiling limit.
Before adopting new or revised TLVs published by the ACGIH, WorkSafeBC reviews relevant data on health effects and the availability of validated sampling methods. WorkSafeBC also consults with stakeholders on potential implementation issues. WorkSafeBC’s existing B.C. Exposure Limits (ELs) continue to be in effect until the Board of Directors makes a decision on which new or revised ACGIH TLVs to adopt as B.C. ELs. See additional information on WorkSafeBC’s EL review process.
We are requesting stakeholder feedback on the proposed ELs for 22 substances.
(1) WorkSafeBC is proposing new or revised B.C. ELs for the following substances:
|Methyl isobutyl carbinol|
(2) WorkSafeBC is proposing to retain the existing B.C. ELs for the following substances:
|Dimethylphenol, all isomers|
|Dinitrobenzene, all isomers|
Feedback can be provided in the following ways:
|Online feedback:||Proposed B.C. ELs
To provide online feedback please click on the link for the proposed B.C. ELs and open the document. Once opened, please click on the yellow “Online feedback” button to provide your feedback.
|Mail:||Policy, Regulation and Research Department
P.O. Box 5350, Station Terminal
Vancouver BC V6B 5L5
Feedback will be accepted until 4:30 p.m. on Friday, Feebruary 3, 2023.
Please include the following information in your comments:
- Your name
- Whether you are submitting on your own behalf or on behalf of an organization (if on behalf of an organization, please specify the name of the organization)
- Whether you are commenting from a worker’s perspective, an employer’s perspective, or an “other” perspective (representing a group such as a licensing or regulatory body, or a professional or industry association)
- Your level of support for the adoption of the proposed new or revised B.C. ELs, and retention of B.C. ELs — whether you generally agree, are generally neutral, or generally disagree
- The reasons for your level of support for the substances you are commenting on
We will send you an acknowledgment of receipt of your feedback.
Please note that you will not be contacted regarding your feedback unless we need clarification.
Publication and disclosure of personal information
Please note that all comments become part of the Policy, Regulation and Research Department’s database and may be published, including the identity of organizations and those participating on behalf of organizations. The identity of those who have participated on their own behalf will be kept confidential according to the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Publication by WorkSafeBC does not mean WorkSafeBC endorses the view(s) of the person making the submission.