For asbestos abatement training providers
To become a provider for asbestos abatement training in B.C., you must be approved by WorkSafeBC. This requirement applies to anyone offering training and certification, including:
- Entities currently accredited with an international assessment-based certificate or certification standard
- Employers offering in-house training to their own staff
- Unions and professional trade associations
- Public and private organizations
How to apply
To apply to become an approved training provider:
- Review Asbestos abatement training: Become an approved provider, which outlines the application process and required documentation.
- Complete the relevant Curriculum mapping template(s).
- Review and complete the Provider application checklist to ensure you have included all the required elements in your application.
- Email Certification Services at firstname.lastname@example.org. You will then be sent a link to access a confidential and secure location to upload your submission documents.
Training programs must be developed to address the specific competencies and training requirements for the intended level of certification, described below. Note that the information here will be updated periodically.
Level 1 certification is for anyone transporting and/or disposing of asbestos-containing waste.
Training programs for this level must cover the Core competencies for Level 1 certification.
Level 2 certification is for anyone conducting asbestos abatement work in relation to a building. Level 1 is a prerequisite for Level 2, although the training program may combine both levels.
Training programs for this level must cover the Core competencies for Level 2 certification.
Assessment for this level includes both a certification exam and a practical skills test. The Level 2 practical skills test guide provides suggestions for the design and implementation of this testing component.
Asbestos Safety Leader
Level 3 certification is for supervisors and others responsible for health and safety at asbestos abatement worksites. Anyone wishing to be Level 3 certified must first complete Level 2 certification.
Training programs for this level must cover the Core competencies for Level 3 certification.
Level S certification is for asbestos surveyors.
Training programs for this level must cover the Core competencies for Level S certification.
See Overview of certification levels for more details.
WorkSafeBC staff will review your application package to determine if your program is approved. Note that you must not claim to offer WorkSafeBC-approved asbestos abatement training until you have been issued a formal approval letter.
If you are approved, your contact information will be published on our website: Find training. If you need to make any changes to the information on this webpage, please email email@example.com.
Timelines to offer training
Training providers should begin offering training in time to ensure all workers are able to be certified before the new requirements come into effect on January 1, 2024.
WorkSafeBC will accept training provider submissions on an ongoing basis, and providers may be designated at any time, including after the implementation date.
For more information
You can email any questions about the certification process to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional information, see the current and past updates on the implementation of the requirements.
To receive updates by email, select the “Asbestos certification and licensing updates” checkbox on our enews subscription form.