WorkSafeBC Home


In response to a discriminatory action complaint or a failure to pay wages complaint, we may order an employer or union to offer one or more of the following remedies.

  • Stop the discriminatory action
  • Reinstate the worker in his or her job
  • Repay any lost wages
  • Reinstate the worker’s status as a union member
  • Clear the worker’s employment record of all reprimands or disciplinary references
  • Reimburse the worker for any reasonable out-of-pocket expenses related to the discriminatory action
  • Write a letter confirming employment of the worker
  • Do whatever else is necessary to be in compliance with the Act

Limitations on remedies 

We cannot remedy the following through a discriminatory action complaint:

  • Pain and suffering: We cannot award general damages for emotional trauma. 
  • Workplace health and safety concerns: The remedies we order must be related to your personal losses, not the health and safety of your workplace.

If you have concerns about health and safety violations, you need to report unsafe working conditions by calling our Prevention line.

Important: your obligation to look for new employment

You must make reasonable efforts to find new employment in order to reduce or eliminate any loss.

You should keep written records of your job search efforts, such as:

  • Copies of job applications you’ve submitted
  • A list of advertisements or job databases you’ve consulted
  • Any other documents that support your job search activities

If you do not demonstrate that you’ve made reasonable attempts to reduce your loss by searching for new employment, the amount that WorkSafeBC orders your employer to pay you may be reduced, should your complaint be successful.