Oil and Gas Initiative
The Oil and Gas Initiative is designed to reduce the oil and gas industry’s serious injury rate through the implementation of risk-reduction tactics and interactions directed towards high-risk work activities in the sector. The initiative provides targeted inspectional activities, health and safety consultative services, and strategic partnerships that mobilize industry to undertake health and safety improvements. The initiative focuses prevention efforts on identified areas of high risk in order to apply resources and activities where they will be most effective.
The goal of the 2021–2023 Oil and Gas Initiative is to prevent injuries, particularly fatal and serious injuries, in relation to:
- Fire and explosions in oil and gas operations and the well servicing sector
- Temporary flow piping systems
- Manual free falling
- Pipeline construction
- Occupational exposures
- Conduct targeted inspections relating to strategic focus areas
- Develop tools and resources relating to safe work procedures at high risk operations
- Support and partner with Energy Safety Canada and industry trade associations to strengthen mitigation measures relating to strategic focus areas
- Deliver key messaging and information to employers and workers
What you can do
Our Oil & gas pages provide resources and information on how to understand and address some of the health and safety issues to focus on in your industry.