Crane and Mobile Equipment Initiative
The Crane and Mobile Equipment team was established in 2008 with a focus on safe tower crane assembly and disassembly, operation, inspection, maintenance, and use. The team’s secondary focus includes detailed inspections of the following construction equipment:
- Mobile cranes
- Boom trucks
- Concrete pump trucks
- Foundation and pile driving equipment
- Elevating work platforms
- Rigging and below the hook lifting devices
The goals of the 2021–2023 Crane and Mobile Equipment Initiative are to:
- Identify and eliminate unsafe work practices and equipment hazards that have the potential to cause death, serious injury and/or catastrophic equipment failure
- Develop an inspectional approach, including guides for officers that identify the key risks at the worksite, and use supporting tools, resources, and regulations to assist workers and employers in identifying and addressing those risks
- Collaborate with industry stakeholders to understand identified risks, and assist them to develop and distribute tools and resources that support employers in addressing potential hazards related to cranes and mobile equipment at their worksites
2022 inspectional approach
For 2022 inspections, prevention officers will take a risk-based approach to ensure that the most significant risks are effectively managed. This approach involves workers and employers identifying hazards, evaluating risks, and implementing the appropriate controls specific to the on-site activities. In addition, it focuses on employers ensuring these efforts are effectively communicated to workers and monitored through foundational occupational health and safety systems such as orientations, training, supervision, incident investigations, worksite inspections, and (where applicable) joint health and safety committees that are robust and well supported.
We will conduct timely, risk-based inspections to ensure employers are effectively managing the key risks across all stages of crane and mobile equipment use.
What you can do
Our cranes and mobile equipment pages provide resources and information on how to understand and address some of the health and safety issues to focus on in your industry.