Confined Space Initiative
Confined space incidents are often catastrophic and reflect a risk that is not apparent from claims data. Although not many incidents have been reported, there is a potential for significant harm. The Confined Space Industry Initiative aims to prevent these types of incidents by taking a sector based approach.
The goals of the 2018–2020 Confined Space Initiative are to:
- Improve awareness of confined spaces and compliance with confined space requirements by concentrating on industry sectors where there is a risk of confined space injury or death
- Build the capacity and capability of industries, employers, and consultants to address hazards in confined spaces
- Field-focused confined space team will conduct inspections and provide the necessary educational and consultative support to help employers and workers achieve compliance
- Site inspections will focus on the key outcomes from the Occupational Health and Safety Regulation, paying particular attention to the critical controls that apply to all confined space entries:
- Atmosphere testing
- Site inspections will be followed by a review of employers’ confined space entry programs and related systems to ensure that they support observed work practices and are in alignment with regulatory requirements
- Align all WorkSafeBC communication and outreach efforts related to confined space awareness and planned inspection activities
What employers can do
Our Confined spaces pages provide resources and information on how to understand and address some of the health and safety issues we’ll be focusing on with our inspections and initiatives.