Asbestos Initiative: Residential Enforcement
Asbestos-related lung diseases are preventable, yet asbestos remains the leading cause of work-related deaths in British Columbia. As part on-going efforts to address this problem, WorkSafeBC will continue with an enforcement initiative aimed at reducing occupational disease and death caused by exposure to asbestos in residential demolition and renovation worksites.
With proper planning and oversight of work, employers in the residential demolition and renovation industry can reduce or eliminate the risk of worker exposure to asbestos fibres.
The goals of the 2018–2020 Asbestos Initiative: Residential Enforcement are to:
- Prevent further exposure to asbestos at all phases of demolition and renovation worksites
- Ensure workers are educated and trained in asbestos awareness and understand their responsibilities
- Ensure a copy of the hazardous materials inspection report is available at the worksite whenever workers are on site
- Ensure owners, qualified people (i.e., consultants), abatement contractors, and demolition and renovation contractors meet their health and safety obligations to ensure:
- Asbestos containing materials are identified and properly assessed before conducting work where asbestos may be disturbed
- Asbestos containing materials that are identified are safely contained or removed prior to conducting further demolition and renovation work
Officers will undertake prevention activities (i.e., inspections, consultation, and education) with owners and other employers, including qualified persons (i.e., consultants), abatement contractors and demolition contractors working at residential demolition and renovation worksites.
- Continue with abatement and social media outreach and communication programs in support of the strategic focus areas
- Continue to deliver associated tools and resources for officers, employers, supervisors, and workers
- Collaborate with key industry stakeholders on targeted initiatives, and deliver key messaging and education to employers and workers
- Collaborate with WorkSafeBC internal stakeholders
What employers can do
Our Asbestos pages provide resources and information on how to understand and address some of the health and safety issues we’ll be focusing on with our inspections and initiatives.