What employers should do
If you are an employer, it is your responsibility to ensure a healthy and safe workplace. Here are some steps to take to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Assess whether workers should be at work
The first step is for employers to understand what workers should be at work. If practicable, employers should:
- Prioritize the work that needs to take place at the workplace to help your business operate as close to normal under the circumstances.
- Consider having workers work remotely (e.g., work at home). Learn more about health and safety responsibilities when working from home.
Employers should ensure that the following workers do not come to work:
- Anyone with COVID‐19-like symptoms such as a sore throat, fever, sneezing, or coughing must self‐isolate at home for a minimum of 10 days from onset of symptoms, until their symptoms are completely resolved.
- Workers who have travelled internationally. In these cases, they must remain away from the workplace for at least 14 days.
- Workers who live in the same household as a confirmed or clinical COVID-19 case who is self-isolating.
Workers who have been exposed to anyone confirmed to have COVID-19, or to anyone with possible symptoms of COVID-19, should call HealthLink BC at 8-1-1 for an assessment and to determine any necessary next steps.
Put physical distancing and other preventative measures in place
If it is necessary for workers to come to work, employers should take steps to reduce the risk of exposure to COVID-19.
The priority should be to take steps to ensure physical distancing is practiced in your workplace, including:
- If practicable, reconfiguring the workplace to maintain appropriate distance between workers.
- Limiting worker participation in in-person gatherings and encouraging practices like teleconferences as an alternative.
- Limiting worker travel.
Additional measures will depend on the workplace, but would generally include:
- Educating workers on health and safety measures to prevent transmission of infectious disease.
- Increase workplace cleaning, provide the necessary supplies, and reinforce personal hygiene messages to workers.
More information for employers & businesses
The BC Centre for Disease Control has collected COVID-19 information for Employers & Business, where you will find information for essential businesses.
Need more information?
For information and assistance with health and safety issues in the workplace, including COVID-19, please contact our Prevention Information Line.