Notice of public hearings for the 2012 proposed amendments to the Occupational Health and Safety Regulation (“OHSR”)
The Board of Directors approved public hearings to be held in May-June 2012 to consider proposed regulatory amendments to:
- Part 5, Chemical Agents and Biological Agents - relating to correcting the reference to combustible dust and updating the reference to the Electrical Code;
- Part 11, Fall Protection - relating to clarifying whether fall protection anchors must be re-certified annually by a professional engineer in all circumstances;
- Part 12, Tools, Machinery and Equipment - relating to recognizing a riving knife as an acceptable device to prevent kickback on table saws;
- Part 12, Tools, Machinery and Equipment; and consequential amendments to Part 23, Oil and Gas - relating to prohibiting applying compressed gas at a greater pressure than the pressure rating for a closed vessel that is not a registered pressure vessel, and requiring such vessels to have appropriate pressure relieving capability;
- Part 13, Ladders, Scaffolds and Temporary Work Platforms, and Part 19, Electrical Safety - relating to clarifying the appropriate requirements for dielectric testing of insulated elevating work platforms and ensuring consistent requirements in these two Parts;
- Part 13, Ladders, Scaffolds and Temporary Work Platforms - relating to the use of work platforms supported by a lift truck;
- Part 16, Mobile Equipment - relating to clarifying what equipment must meet and be used in accordance with section 16.3(7);
- Part 19, Electrical Safety - relating to replacing current terminology with terms that are appropriate to low voltage electrical equipment;
- Part 19, Electrical Safety - relating to establishing a provision allowing the practice of passing the bucket of an insulated aerial working device between energized high voltage conductors if not practicable to do work otherwise, due to terrain or other obstacles; and
- Part 26, Forestry Operations and Similar Activities – relating to requiring signage on all resource roads in BC showing (1) radio channels when an Industry Canada road channel has been assigned, and (2) radio frequencies when an Industry Canada channel is not assigned, but a radio frequency is.
The proposal relating to Part 24, Diving, Fishing and Other Marine Operations, is not being taken to public hearings at this time to enable consideration of the new edition of CSA Standard Z275.4.
From the above regulatory packages, you will be able to access the proposed amendments and explanatory notes. Proposed deletions in the regulatory amendments are identified with a
strikethrough and additions are in bold text and highlighted in yellow.
You will also be able to access an online feedback form for each amendment package.
Details of the public hearings are also available.