Notice of public hearings for the 2011 proposed amendments to the Occupational Health and Safety Regulation (“OHSR”)
The Board of Directors approved public hearings to be held in May-June 2011 to consider proposed regulatory amendments pertaining to the items below. There is an additional proposal for Part 16, Mobile Equipment.
- Part 4, General Conditions - relating to a third option to protect workers assigned to work alone in a late night retail premises. This third option is proposed because some employers have found it impracticable to install barriers to separate workers from the public or alternatively employ two workers on shift during late night hours;
- Parts 6, Substance Specific Requirements; and consequential amendments to Part 20, Construction, Excavation and Demolition - relating to updating asbestos requirements;
- Parts 6, Substance Specific Requirements - relating to updating the reference to the Pesticide Control Act;
- Part 9, Confined Spaces - relating to clarifying that atmospheric testing must be conducted by a qualified person;
- Part 12, Tools, Machinery and Equipment - relating to safer driven-feed mobile chipper requirements;
- Part 14, Cranes and Hoists - relating to updating the reference to the Elevating Devices Safety Act;
- Part 15, Rigging - relating to clarifying the correct number of wire rope clips to be used in wire rope splices;
- Part 16, Mobile Equipment - relating to the requirement for trailer units with a dump box to have a permanently affixed mechanical device capable of supporting the empty box in the raised position;
- Part 16, Mobile Equipment - relating to permitting a worker riding on a rear-mounted work platform to retrieve traffic cones when the vehicle is
- Part 20, Construction, Excavation and Demolition - relating to new requirement that concrete pumps and placing booms meet the requirements of CSA Standard Z151-09;
- Part 23, Oil and Gas -relating to updating the reference to the Power Engineers and Boiler and Pressure Vessel Safety Act;
- Part 28, Agriculture - relating to the requirement for rollover protective structures on agricultural tractors;
- Removal from the OHSR of the requirements for "prior approval" or "prior permission",
before proceeding with certain types of work or using certain work arrangements. The sections identified for change by identifying specific requirements or referencing standards are as follows:
- Part 5, Chemical Agents and Biological Agents, relating to extended work periods;
- Part 14, Cranes and Hoists, relating to chimney hoists;
- Part 19, Electrical Safety, relating to high voltage;
- Part 21, Blasting Operations, relating to mobile drill rigs;
- Removal from the OHSR of the requirements for “acceptable to the Board”,
before proceeding with certain types of work or using certain work arrangements. The sections identified for change are in Part 6 and relate to:
- the removal of asbestos debris and acceptance from the Board;
- posting warning signs and acceptance from the Board;
- monitors and alarms for equipment and machinery and acceptance from the Board.
From the above regulatory packages, you will be able to access the proposed amendments and explanatory notes. Proposed deletions in the regulatory amendments are identified with a
strikethrough and additions are in bold text and highlighted in yellow.
You will also be able to access an online feedback form for each amendment package.
Based on the feedback received from stakeholders, the Board of Directors decided that the following proposed amendment package which was released for consultation, not proceed to public hearings and that WorkSafeBC continue to work with industry on this topic:
- Part 21, Blasting Operations,
relating to restricting the abandonment of misfired explosives to reduce chances of accidentally drilling into an un-detonated charge.
Details of the public hearings are also available.